Even with the challenges posed by this winter’s stormy conditions, construction has begun on one of the most innovative shopping concepts on the Monterey Peninsula. The Dunes Promenade will be a distinctive, open-air retail district in the heart of the breathtaking new home community, The Dunes on Monterey Bay in Marina.
In December, heavy equipment rolled into place and development began on land that was formerly part of the Fort Ord military base. It’s now being transformed into a walkable outdoor shopping, dining, and entertainment destination in the midst of the 330-acre live-work-play community — the first mixed-use development in Marina — being created by Shea Homes.
The Dunes Promenade will feature seven commercial buildings totaling 32,685 sq. ft. — with retail suites or full buildings ranging from 800 sq. ft. to 5,500 sq. ft. The neighborhood will also include 84 residential condos, townhomes and live/work units.
Anchoring the retail district will be a major-name specialty grocer renowned for its outstanding service, quality foods and a host of other items. Other tenants are expected to include a variety of shops, eateries and service businesses, including medical or dental offices. A five-screen movie complex, the Cinemark Century Marina theater, already exists on the site.
Strolling along the tree-lined, flowered paths fronting the retail shops, dining establishments and other businesses, shoppers will ultimately reach a quaint village square green that will serve as a community gathering place. Here, people can relax and enjoy the plentiful sunshine and refreshing breezes coming from nearby Monterey Bay. Ample parking will be available along the traffic-controlled streets as well as in large lots adjacent to the stores.
Grading, Plus Installation of Utilities and Stormwater System
The first phase of construction for The Dunes Promenade and surrounding residential neighborhood — which will also encompass 18 townhomes with bay views, 53 condos or flats, and 13 live/work units above the retail shops — has been proceeding steadily, despite the just-ended rainy season.
Key tasks include mass grading throughout the site, the installation of wet and dry underground utilities and creating an extensive stormwater retention system capable of handling the wettest conditions.
With better spring weather arriving and the ground drying out, next up will be pouring of the residential foundations — expected to start in May. The general contractor and architect for The Dunes Promenade retail buildings is SWENSON.
Building Retail Success at The Dunes Promenade
The Dunes Promenade offers a variety of businesses unique opportunities for growth and profitability:
- 7 retail buildings on a 3.65-acre site with suites or full buildings — many spaces with patio areas — ranging from 800 sq. ft. to 5,500 sq. ft.
- A specialty grocer anchor that will be announced soon, as will another tenant occupying a full building — generating early momentum
- Suites are available for lease by retailers, restaurants, professional offices and medical/dental practices
- Small retailers can take advantage of 13 live-work units located above the shops in several buildings along the Promenade
- Located within a dynamic, fast-growing live-work-play community Shea Homes and other developers are creating in Marina with 1,900 homes, townhomes, condos and apartments recently built — plus over 4,500 more on the way in several master-planned developments.
- Other nearby demand generators include CSUMB; Fort Ord National Monument; the Marina shopping center featuring Best Buy, CVS, REI, Target, Starbucks and more; and the 6 million people who visit Monterey County each year
- Immediate access to travelers on Highway 1 and Imjin Parkway — positioning businesses along the major regional rout to the Monterey Peninsula, and for the primary commute corridor in Monterey County, to and from Salinas
Get In Now During Construction
The best opportunities for retailers, restaurants or service businesses always come during the early stages of construction. Now’s the time to be able to combine suites into a larger space or easily add improvements to a building that suits your business needs.
For full details about The Dunes Promenade n Marina, contact Ralph Borelli at Borelli Investment Company or Michael Schoeder at Cushman & Wakefield for all the details.